Monday, April 8, 2013

An Unexpected Journey: Day 4 at Windsor, Stonehenge and Bath | Travel

     Well, I'm back state side and I'm experiencing extreme England withdrawal (so, if you see my mom and I and we're speaking with a British accent, no need to be worried. We're just experiencing major withdrawal symptoms). 
     I wasn't able to blog the last few days of my trip, so I will be posting more this week and, hopefully, get more pictures uploaded to share with everyone. 
     Day four in England consisted of a 10 hour bus tour around the English midlands. Our tour guide was probably one of the funniest people I met while out of the country. She was extremely knowledgable and made us laugh throughout the whole journey.
     Windsor Castle was absolutely stunning, as was the actual town of Windsor, however, the Queen was in residence, which meant we were only permitted to tour the grounds of the castle. This is one of the places I could have personally spent the whole day touring, because there was just too much to experience in a two hour time period. 
     Our second stop on the tour was the historic Stonehenge, allegedly 5,000 years old. At this point in our journey, it's pretty safe to say we were completely frozen. There was a negative windchill and absolutely no sun whatsoever. And to top things off, once we reached Stonehenge, which, mind you, is in the middle of a field, it began to snow. I was trying to remember at this point that it was, in fact, April, not January. Nonetheless, it was a very cool experience. 
     Lastly, we visited Bath and, thank goodness, it was much less windy there. I was looking forward to visiting Bath, mainly because it was one of the towns Jane Austen lived in. She happened to write two of her novels while living here, as well. We were able to see her home in Bath and the place where they filmed the BBC version of her book, Persuasion. We toured the Roman Baths and explored the city for a few hours before it was time to head back to London. 


A Windsor Castle guard on duty
The changing of the guard 
The village of Windsor
The beautiful English countryside
Stonehenge
The Bath Circus



No comments:

Post a Comment